Contact details
Wer Ist Walter?
info@weristwalter.eu
Back
Armed resistance Forests and mountains

Weapons Production in Grmeč

The beginning of the partisan struggle against the fascists required the initiation of workshops for the production and repair of confiscated firearms. For this reason, the District Committee of the Communist Party of Yugoslavia for Podgrmeč, together with the people’s liberation committees and military authorities, began in November 1941 to list all local craftsmen. All workshops that previously served for the repair of agricultural tools were transformed into places for the repair and production of cold weapons. Thus, the workshop of Mirko Inđić, a local from Lušci Palanka at the foot of Grmeč, was transformed into a workshop for the production and repair of weapons. At the request of the Communist Party of Yugoslavia, Mirko produced hand grenades for the partisans and repaired weapons in his workshop.

 

Other workshops also operated at the foot of Mount Grmeč. In August 1941, a workshop operated in the village of Mala Rujiška in Novi Grad municipality. Two craftsmen, Dmitar Čiča and Pero Čiča Lazin, manufactured short hunting rifles in their workshop, which were highly effective in close combat. Pero Čiča, especially, excelled in weapon production, having had similar experiences before the Second World War. He gained particular respect among the partisans after he constructed a hand grenade in October 1941, which was named “cjevara,” after the water pipe from which it was made.

 

In 1942, another partisan workshop was established in the village of Hašani. The experience from the previous year significantly improved the work in the partisan workshop in Hašani. It developed rapidly, primarily because various experts from the town of Ljubija, known for its mines, joined as workers. A sawmill also operated within the workshop. Soon, the workers perfected the production of various weapons: hand grenades, mines, and rifles. Additionally, they produced utensils such as pots, spoons, and other items for the needs of the army and the people. The fascists were aware of the workshop in Hašani, located in the house of Stojan Novaković. During the war, they bombed it several times, but without significant results.

 

One of the largest weapons workshops was established in Ljubija, where even aircraft bombs were produced. However, after the fascists occupied this town in October 1942, the workshop was relocated to Grmeč, on the banks of the Suvajčina stream. Đuro Pucar Stari and the commander Kosta Nađ determined the location of this workshop. This workshop operated almost without interruption. The fact that it was placed under the jurisdiction of the Supreme Headquarters attests to its importance.

 

Dino Dupanović

Sources
  • Radomir Bulatović – Partisan Workshops in the Grmeč Area, in Podgrmeč in the People’s Liberation Struggle and Revolution 1941-1945, Institute for History in Sarajevo and Municipal Assembly of Bosanska Krupa, Sarajevo, 1985.

This website stores cookies on your computer. Cookie Policy